Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A new toy for my kitchen!

Boy, it's been a really long time since I've been here, but I wanted to stop by and tell you about my new favorite kitchen toy that my eldest DD got me on Black Friday!  It's an Instant Pot, which is an electric pressure cooker that also has additional features that allow you to steam, keep warm and slow cook.  Some versions of this pot also make yogurt, and many, many people tout it's greatness for making cheesecake---but that is another post entirely, lol!I haven't gotten rid of my crock pot yet, but it's a distinct possibility!

In the past I've used a stove top pressure cooker for several things:  tough meats like stew meat, beans, making broth, etc.  I had found a recipe for Risotto in the pressure cooker and tried it, but burner control on my old stove was not up for the job, and it scorched horribly.  I thought I was doomed to spend the 45 minutes or so it takes to make risotto at the stove stirring, and stirring, and stirring.....well, you get the picture :)  But then this little bad boy came along and I am in risotto HEAVEN!!!   So I'm sharing with you today--try it out and tell me what you think!

You're welcome :D


Instant Pot Risotto

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup Arborio rice
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup white wine
1 cup mushrooms, sliced and sauteed *
1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas*(I've also substituted fresh asparagus)
1/4 -1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

* I cooked the sliced mushrooms in a skillet with 1 Tablespoon of butter, until golden, then added the peas to heat through.  I deglazed the pan with 1/8 cup of white wine, allowed to cook down and set aside.  This can also be cooked in the Instant Pot using the saute feature. In this version, the butter and wine are in ADDITION to what is called for in the recipe. 

Directions:
Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in the Instant Pot using the saute function.  Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.  Place the rice in the pot with the onions and continue stirring until the rice becomes translucent and the edges begin to toast.  
Deglaze the pan with white wine and add the salt and broth.  Stir to combine.  Lock the Instant Pot lid and push the RICE button, making sure the pressure valve is in the sealing position. When finished, do a quick release by setting the valve to vent.  Add the mushrooms and peas, remaining butter, Parmesan, and a splash of broth, stirring to finish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment