Saturday, September 26, 2009

Farmer's Market


I had the best of intentions to work on my thesis this morning, until my lovely daughter, Brynn called and asked if I'd like to go to the Farmer's Market with her. I go to the market quite often in the spring, for plant starts and during the summer, but it usually isn't something that I think of in the Fall. There was quite a variety of inspiration: corn, heirloom tomatoes, basil, and of course, pumpkins and gourds. I bought some Anaheim Chiles that had been allowed to turn red (they are a little warmer than the green ones) that will be good on the grill, some fresh corn, and some green tomatoes. Brynn bought some basil, corn, an aloe plant and some Greek Focaccia Bread that looked very good. Snide comments were made about the times that I "made" my children eat fried green tomatoes. I like them dredged in a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal, along with whatever spices sound good at the moment, then pan fried in a bit of olive oil. Seems that they might be good dipped in a chipotle-sour cream sauce, but I will also do a little research on dipping sauces before I make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment