Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes



Not only one of my favorite movies of all time, preparing and eating Fried Green Tomatoes is a fall ritual for me. Somehow, preparing and eating the last of the tomato harvest in this way marks a transition from the warm summer months to a cooler fall. My kids will tell you that I am a bit nuts about this dish. They didn't like tomatoes at all as children, and to eat the dastardly fruit before it was ripe must have seemed like lunacy. Yesterday at the Farmer's Market, Brynn was quick to remind me how I used to "make" my daughters eat them. I remember it a little differently, of course. My mother-in-law introduced me to fried green tomatoes when I was young and newly married and I've prepared them nearly every fall since. I played around with the recipe a bit this year and it turned out quite good. Tonight I served them with large scallops, fried, using the same coating mixture and mashed baby red potatoes.


Fried Green Tomatoes

4 or 5 large green tomatoes

Slice about 1/4" thick and set aside

Mix together:

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup cornmeal

2 T. panko bread crumbs

1 t. sugar

1/2 t. each: chipotle chile powder, mesquite seasoning, & Johnny's seasoning salt

Cover bottom of heavy skillet with peanut oil and heat

Dredge tomato slices in flour mixture and fry, being careful not to burn.

Drain on paper towels before serving.


Chipotle Dipping Sauce

Sour cream

Chipotle Chile Powder

Mix as mild or as spicy as you like and serve with tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment